We lost to Cuba. 17-1.
Officially out, we will not compete in the medal rounds. When the game was over and people exited, all the players clustered in a group and mingled around. We weren't really expecting anything to happen, it just seemed like it came together. Dad had his pitchers stand in a circle as he gave his final speech. They tried not to cry; dad tried not to cry, and the interpreter Coach Yi tried not to cry. From where I was standing, I could make out a few words. Dad gestured and put his hand to his heart; Coach Yi did the same. Some of the men looked to the sky and some put their hands to their eyes. You could feel the emotion escalating; I snapped pictures and choked up. It was at this time where Coach Yi lost it. Tears streamed as he translated the last words of dad's goodbye speech. Dad hugged and shook hands with the players. It was tearful as we wrapped up our last moments with the team. I thought of our journey... the west coast trip and the east coast trip. Memories flooded back and I thought, "I never knew it would come so fast!" In the background to further our grief, was a song with the words 'this is the end' or 'it's over.' My attention was directed back to the field, Liu Kai cried as dad hugged him and wished him the best, Hou Fenglian knelt in the grass by first base line and just sat; looking at the field for the last time, Wang Nan scooped up some dirt from the infield; the press stood at a respectable distance. I was having such a hard time not crying. To see these players, have such an appreciation for their coaches and really understand all that they had done for them. To thank them and give last words. And how these players, played their hearts out. Not competitive or mean; but they did their job. To think that these players, respected the game, and stayed through to the end. And to know that these players made history and did the impossible; I can walk away knowing that this work was not in vain.
After the game
Last team picture
The pitchers




















8 comments:
That must've been such a memorable moment. I think it will stay with those who were there to experience it....forever. Thank you for sharing. You have a way of painting the picture perfectly with your words. The photos were icing on the cake.
What an AWESOME thing to see!!! I'm so excited for you!
Love the Green's!
Those pics were awesome, Eve! I wish I was there. As you know, I didn't get that opportunity to say good-bye to the team and I was really disappointed about that, but your pictures more than made me feel like I was there. I'm glad your dad was able to read my letter to the players. During my short five year baseball career, I've never had as much fun as I did these past six months. The experience was truly quite memorable and priceless. There's not a lot of people who can say that they stayed at the "luxerious" Queen Mary Hotel or "elegant" Yankee Pedlar Inn of Torrington, CT with the Chinese National Baseball Team! Even though there were times when I wanted to drop-kick a few players (and I know your dad and Jimmy can relate!), they truly were some of the hardest-working and sincere players I have ever worked with. They definitely appreciated what we did for them.
Ok, I can't answer to your poll cause I'm excited but yet not to the point of having all my clothes laid out. That would be gay...
Hey! I didn't see you at the KEYS orientation thingy.....
I love your profile picture, it's so cute! :)
hey so are u at the olympics in china???? i have been watching every night!!!
Very cool Elly!!
I haven't seen anything live besides baseball and field hockey. (Just once though)The running joke is that we'll say on our way home "I can't wait to get back to the states so I can watch the Olympics.
Post a Comment